Thanksgiving, surviving  cancer, and loss:  what really matters.

"A man was found in his apartment three years after his death – and what it can teach us about loneliness" Editorial in The Dallas Morning News, 11/23/2018




As Ron and I charge into our eighth decade (our 70s), having suffered loss (Ron's beloved Michelle and my surviving prostate cancer (so far)), I was shocked to read an article about a man found dead in his apartment after his death, three years ago. Yes, it's 2019, an era of all forms of communications, yet nobody, including this man's mother, knew that something was amiss. The man died alone at the age of fifty one! 

As an advocate for prostate cancer Learn More, and a survivor myself, I know how lonely one feels when diagnosed with prostate cancer. When both Karen and I were patients and caregivers following my surgery and her near-fatal fall at the hospital, our neighbors, my parish, fraternity brothers, and family embraced us with support, for which we will be forever grateful. 

Our experience is the subject of my book, The Prostate Chronicles - A Medical Memoir, an irreverent look at this experience. Frankly, loneliness is a senior's worst nightmare. What brightens my day is using Social Media to stay connected to friends, fraternity brothers, former associates and family. Email and text messages are important, easy-access tools. 

Karen's siblings each take a day or two a week to call their mother, Floretta, who lives alone in Oklahoma City. If she doesn't answer a text or phone call, a nearby son drives over to check on her. A long-time neighbor has been enrolled in this safety net, too. 

I text my brother, message my sister, email my friends and stay connected because the fear of dying alone is looming as we age.


"White’s case drives home the importance of making real connections. There should be people in our lives who can and will reach out to at least check on our well-being or at least notice when something might seem odd." Editorial Section, Dallas Morning News 11/23/2019






#Thanksgiving#loneliness#friends#connections#socialmedia#smartphones#virtualworld





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Assassination of John F Kennedy. Why It Matters...

BEHIND ENEMY LINES ON GUADALCANAL. THEN IWO...

MY WIFE HAS DEMENTIA. Now what?