Thoughts on Surviving Prostate Cancer

It has been sixteen months since my meeting with da Vinci  the robot who extracted my cancerous prostate and the detour of a lifetime. Three PSA tests laer and the cancer is undetectable with another test in September (Prostate Cancer month). A year ago I wondered whether I’d see my 70th birthday and a bucket list goal of attending the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach in June with a close friend with whom I had attended the Open at Pebble Beach nine years prior,and  the Olympic Club in San Francisco. I was told that I had a 95% chance of living for ten years (80), and slightly less to 85 . Of course, I’ll never be cancer free and something else may terminate my time on this earth. Well, I did go to the U.S. Open, started playing Pickleball iand jumpstarted my golf game. I am an advocate for ProstateCancer.net contributing articles and moderating their Facebook Forums. I am active in my parish Knights of Columbus Council too.


While driving home today from teaching freshmen students as an Adjunct Professor  at Brookhaven College Ianother bucket list item checked off!)  I thought again about my good fortune.  Clarity of thought, focused actions, no more procrastination are all a result of the result of "threading the eye of the needle" surviving prostate cancer. I wrote  The Prostate Chronicles - A Medical Memoir published in May of this year. Learn More Last month, Ron Sorter and I co-authored Letters In A Helmet - A Story of Fraternity and Brotherhood. This is a story looking back five decades about how the Vietnam Era in a divided country was a formative time in our lives. It's about brotherhood, and a friendship. It is also a story of fraternity life and long term friendships.Learn More

The message is that "No One Fights Alone". Your firends, family, and associates will rally around you to get your across the finish line to live another day. I'm happy to talk to your loved one who may be diagnosed with prostate cancer . Better yet give him a copy of my book and ask them to join ProstateCancer.net.  . Here's an article I wrote following my surgery.Staying Active during recovery

Contact me at  bob.whatmatters@gmail.com







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Assassination of John F Kennedy. Why It Matters...

BEHIND ENEMY LINES ON GUADALCANAL. THEN IWO...

MY WIFE HAS DEMENTIA. Now what?