HOW MUCH DOUGH YOU GOT? A kid’s definition of value...

"Every child is an artist..." 
Pablo Picasso

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do." 
Edgar Degas


How do you compute value? Money? Sentiment?

Value is often measured both ways, and it usually increases by the rarity of what one is missing most. In our book, Letters in a Helmet, Bob and I reflect on the value of our fifty-year friendship, in very honest terms. But, are there other ways to determine value? You bet. A few years ago, I didn't know that what I was missing most, and would value most, was a work of art by Charlie.

The Painting

I went over to the grandkids' house one day and they were both sitting at a table glueing popcorn onto paper. The youngest was checking YouTube for popcorn designs when Dad says, "Hey, Gramps, look what Charlie drew today," and peels away the protective sheet. I looked and...wow. You know? The kid had just graduated kindergarten.

I picked it up carefully, it was 12" X 18" and, I gotta say, awesome. Charlie was leaning against the table, running his finger over the iPad screen and said, "Yeah, I drew that."

I gave him the eye. It's gonna be like that, is it? He's ignoring everybody, too cool. Did I say, he was five?

But I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. No sirree. What I was holding here was a work of genius. I valued it, see? And I'm wondering, does the kid know how good he is? I bet it would help him to know how much Gramps values his painting.

Sure, I'll explain to him later how his value of things shouldn't always be denominated in cash. But that day, I was betting he'd enjoy learning that he'd created some with his own set of pencils.

The Cagney/Bogart Method

So I said, "Hey, Charlie, this drawing you did?" I take a fiver outta my cash clip and say, "I'll give you five bucks for it." Not a question. A statement. He says, "No way, I'm gonna keep it forever." Being a tough guy. This kid's gonna to make a fortune.

I say, "You tellin' me five bucks isn't a lot of money to you?" He goes all Cagney and says, "I got lots of money." He studies his popcorn. I do a Bogart, pull down the brim of my fedora and ask him, "How much dough you got, Charlie? You know, money, dollars, dough."

He jumps up, races into his room and returns with his entire net worth in a box. He pours it out onto the table and begins to count. Two pieces of paper and...he finally looks up from his palmful of pennies and says proudly, "I got two dollars and ninety one cents."

Let's say it together..."awwwww."

Then he says, "Why would I want your one dollar when I got two?" Uh oh. I quick explain the concept of numbers, capital markets and the meaning of the numeral five. "Hey, pal, we value one of these the same as five of those." 

He pauses then says, "OK, it's yours," and hands me the painting. I'm going to use it to demonstrate the concept of value to him and his brother. Of course, Mom and Dad explained to Charlie how he mustn't value a thing by its monetary price only. 

Mom and Dad and Gramps are a team, too. We teach the same things in different ways. My technique is to teach the boys how to use a hammer and how not to throw their emotions all over the floor. Our Brotherhood of the Workshop is tight. The boys value my way of thinking, and I, for their age, theirs.

The "Other Experts Value it Highly" Method

I saw Charlie's work of art as his impression of Andy Warhol Meets the Muppets. I took it to the local picture framing place and asked them to mount it on foam board and to cut some glass to fit. When I picked it up, it looked sensational. The lady said, "You told Lydia your grandson did this?" I got all squinty-eyed and said, "I did." She squinted at me. "How old is your grandson?" 

I paused for just the right number of seconds and said, "He's five." There was no faking it. She was gobsmacked. Sooo, she thinks the kid is good, too, does she? Value increases when an informed public agrees, isn't that what they say?

The "Hang It in an Important Gallery Method." 

Anyway, I made a cedar frame for it and stained it to match the one holding my big bear, the 4' X 5' one I have hanging center stage, in the living room. No ego here, honest.

When the boys and Mom and Dad came over a week later for some cookies and champagne, I had him sign it, then I slid it all together and hung it next to my bear. 

Everyone effused how great it looked and he, tough guy as ever, was red-faced. You could tell, he'd experienced an insight into value.

I know he's already spent the five bucks. I'll bet he can't even remember on what. But every time he comes into my living room, he looks at the position of honor his painting occupies. It means something because there's something else in his value equation now.

It's related to drawings taped to the fridge. Or works hanging in the Louvre. The price paid is one thing but more important than the money is that someone in his brotherhood, someone he values, wants to trade him money to have something he did, framed, hanging on his wall. Forever. 

You can't beat that for helping him become aware of a piece of his own self worth. And it's good to learn that young.

Bob has also written an interesting book on Prostate Cancer, or how to fly successfully through the eye of that needle. If you value that kind of certainty, you can buy it here.

Ron




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Assassination of John F Kennedy. Why It Matters...

Honoring our Veterans - Wreaths Across America